Friday, February 22, 2013

I Have Running Water

I read...a lot.  I am almost always reading a book.  I have a list in my phone of books that are recommended to me or books that I think sound good and I randomly request them from the library.  God has really planned out which books I have been reading and when I receive them.  Last spring, I did the Beth Moore Bible study on the book of James.  I had never had a favorite book of the Bible until then.  I actually considered naming Kinsley, James if she was a boy because I was so moved by the book.  I think it can be really trendy these days to talk about social justice.  We can jump on the band wagon of talking about all the things that are wrong with the world right now, but we really do not do anything about it.  I am 100% guilty of this.  I hear of the horrible injustices that are occurring every single second of every single day and I am heartbroken in the moment, but then I kind of just drift back to my comfortable American middle class life.  I am convinced that God does not want me to remain in that pattern.  He has been bringing books into my life ever since last year that are challenging me to actually do something about it. 

I read Crazy Love by Francis Chan at the same time I was doing the James study.  Totally read that book.  It really got me thinking on how I live my life and my priorities.  Is it really okay to say that I am a follower of Christ, but continue to ignore the life and death needs of my fellow human beings?  I then read Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis.  What an amazing example of someone who did what God told her to do.  Her life is far from glamorous and I am sure many people think she is crazy.  But, wow, what a difference she is making in the world.  And what a testament of living in peace when you follow what God tells you to do. 

I just finished Radical by David Platt and thought it was absolutely life changing.  I respected that Platt was convicting without being condemning.  Did you know that every single hour 26,000 children die from starvation and preventable diseases?  TWENTY SIX THOUSAND PARENTS WATCH THEIR CHILDREN DIE...EVERY.SINGLE.HOUR.  That is not okay.  Those parents love their children just as much as I love mine.  They did not choose for their children to die.  They were waiting for someone, anyone to help.  They are not lazy.  As a matter of fact, many walk HOURS every day just for dirty water for their family.  They walk hours.  And let's be clear on this one, some of the parents do not grieve the loss of their child.  That is because they are already dead.  Their children had to die alone, starving, and without a parent.  I know this is completely depressing, but it is also reality.  How convenient it is to go back to our lives and pretend this doesn't happen.  I certainly do.  It is just too much to think about.  I won't even begin to talk about the sex trade that involves millions of children.  That is for another post.  Platt does not just talk about the people that die physically every day, but also spiritually.  Billions of people do not even know about Jesus.  And it is our job to tell them about the love, peace, and forgiveness He offers.

So, what does all of this mean?  David and I (he is now reading the book) are committed to living a simpler life, paying off our debt, and living a life that means we can give to others.  We have all heard the Mother Teresa quote "Live simply so others can simply live", but really think about that.  What are you willing to give up so that one less child dies today? 

This will always be a struggle for me.  I love to shop.  I love to decorate my home.  I almost did not post this because I was afraid that I would be judged every time one of you saw me with something new.  We are choosing to send our kids to private school and some may think that money should go elsewhere.  We have prayed and prayed about it and we believe that is God's direction for the life of our family.  This may mean that we never move out of our starter home and we are okay with that.  Do we really need bigger and better?  It has hit me numerous times how many people in the world would love to live in my garage.  My GARAGE.  They would think that was amazing.

I don't know what God is calling us to live without.  I know that right now we are pulling back on our "fun money" to do things in order to pay off our debt quicker.  I know that we will always have to evaluate what we should spend our money on. We don't feel as if God has called us to sell everything and move to be missionaries in another country.  Some people are called to that, but at this time, we really think He wants us right here.

All I do know is that the other day I was in my kitchen and thinking about how I would like to redo the walls in there and make some other changes.  And then God totally spoke to me (not audibly) and I just heard Him say "You have running water".  I have running water.  What a humbling statement.  How many mothers would love to have running water for their families.  I have running water.

No comments:

Post a Comment